Chlorine bleach is one of the most common household cleaners, yet it can be the most dangerous. Most poison control calls involves exposure to household bleach. Children exposed to bleach are linked with negative impacts to their health.
There was a study on the effects of bleach on school children in the Netherlands, Finland, and Spain. The researchers found that a higher amount of bleach exposure to the children results in a higher frequency of infections. The risk of flu was 20 percent higher in households using bleach, and the risk of recurrent tonsillitis is 35 percent higher in households using bleach. The risk of any other infection happening again was 18 percent higher among the children who are exposed to bleach.
Here are some health concerns regarding bleach:
- It creates a deadly gas when mixed with an ammonia like urine.
- Chlorine is a gas at room temperature so you are constantly breathing it in while using it.
- Chlorine and dish soap can create mustard gas, the kind they used in WWII.
- Chlorine can create dioxins, a known cancer-causing compound also related to birth defects, miscarriage, infertility, diabetes, immune disorders and more.
- It is highly corrosive to the skin, eyes, lungs, etc and can cause chemical burns and ulcerations.
- It increases asthma and allergy symptoms.
- Pets, and especially birds, are more susceptible to the dangers.
- Chlorine in drinking water can oxidize organic contaminants, producing trihalomethanes, which are carcinogenic.
- When household bleach is mixed with wastewater it is found to form numerous toxic compounds.
- Bleach also breaks down in the environment to “halides”, which harms shellfish and other aquatic life.
- Organichlorides, which contain chlorine, stick around in the environment for a long time and have been linked to reproductive issues, immune dysfunction, cancer, hormonal disruption and more.
We at mopology, are proud of being bleach free. There are many eco-friendly products that work much better than bleach. Being bleach free allows our employees to be in a safe working environment. Clients are happier and healthier because that is less contribution to the indoor air pollution.